Male or female character?

Everything related to the standalone game, Tortured Hearts - Or How I Saved The Universe. Again. If you want to use this board, please register at www.torturedhearts.com

Male or Female?

Male
71%
Female
29%

Total votes : 7

Re: Male or female character?

Postby subbassman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:19 pm

fallen_hero wrote:I think I should start also a female character the next time I start playing a RPG.

Besides that: did any of you guys choose a male / female character when doing a RPG for the second time? Some games are said to offer a totally different experience when you choose another race and maybe even gender...

"Totally" different sounds a bit of exaggeration to me and also it depends on the length of the game I believe.

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby DrHoo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 pm

We have a tentative handicapping system for gender. Basically women are penalized when it comes to using weapons but have an advantage in communication, and vice-versa for males. However, after a moderately large amount of experience, this difference disappears and thereafter both genders are on an equal footing. Now, before everything gets set too much in stone, would be a Really Good Time to imagine this is happening in whatever game you are playing, and how you would feel about it, and respond with your suggestions.

DrHoo
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Very cool idea you have there with the gender-based handicapping system. I like the limitation on especially these two aspects, which I think many can relate to from real life...
I also like the limitation of this up to a certain point. This may upgrade the gameplay in the beginning with a new experience but wouldn't one leave behind for the rest of the game which might be boring to some people.
What might be funny in my eyes would be if you could even see or feel somehow how the habdicaps disappear, e.g. men begin to discover that they also can learn to communicate better while woman could be surprised to have a learning effect wheb using weapons for a while. Plus it would be fun, if other party members would also witnessed the progress of the PC and react with a proper comment ln how things are movin' forward.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 am

Is gender based item restriction okay?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:57 am

subbassman wrote:Is gender based item restriction okay?

Yes, it would be if a item doesn't fit to the proper gender. But I also think it should be balanced well, making the game always fun to play, so the gender choice doesn't ruin the gaming experience of the player.
Plus it might make the game even more replayable since starting the next time with the other gender gives the possibility to use all the stuff you couldn't use before.
Maybe also a chance for some even more humor, when messages for items appear you cannot use giving you a neat comment for your choice.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby Malach1te » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 am

I can't roleplay women properly :roll: So male

Malach1te
Distinguished Tomb Raider

Postby subbassman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am

Malach1te wrote:I can't roleplay women properly :roll: So male

Like a male dwarf? :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Malach1te » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am

subbassman wrote:

Nah, Human Barbarians, "Knights" and Druids mainly...

Malach1te

Postby subbassman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Malach1te wrote:
subbassman wrote:

Nah, Human Barbarians, "Knights" and Druids mainly...

Are females out of question?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Malach1te » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am

subbassman wrote:
Are females out of question?

No, for second playthroughs i sometimes choose female. But i'm not very good at roleplaying them and in online games they're out of the question. Also when i played a MMO years ago i started as female and there was a guy on the same server who partied up with me for weeks and gave me fancy items and stuff, turns out he thought i was female iRL too and he was devastated when it turned out i wasn't. This scarred me for life, i'm serious :D

Malach1te

PreviousNext

Return to Tortured Hearts General