Most motivating things...

Anything about RPGs could be discussed here.

Re: Most motivating things...

Postby subbassman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Probably.

And you can decide whether you give it back or not... :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 am

Hehe, that would be fun. ;) Would like to see how many would give it back or not. Could also be nice if the decision had a consequence.

I know at least of one game where you could decide to give a quest item (you had to steal something) to the NPC or not. In the first choice the reward was a good amount of XP but there was also the chance of selling the item for a good price...

Besides that it would be nice to see if people feel more more motivated when doing a good quest (doing something in a positive way) or would prefer the destructive, negative way (leading to a negative outcome for someone else)?

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 am

What was the worst consequence you've ever encountered?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Having lost a team-member. The character did develop very good in his skills and was a great help and some sort of ace card in my team. Too bad he did leave my party because I did a decision he wasn't feeling good with and didn't had a old save-game to undo this mistake...

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:55 am

Do you actually like if your choices have consequences?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Not too much. It's nice to see what happens if you try out different choices in a game.

But since real life already leaves us with a lot of harsh consequences of decisions behind I would prefer not to see this in games. After all it should be fun playing a game and not having to cumber around with consequences in the end.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 am

Consequences can actually be good as well. :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 am

Thats the other side of things. In the end we need to play the game to have the chance of making a point, no matter if in real life or on a PC. :D

But to go back to games: a RPG full of choices without meaning or consequences would also be silly. I know some games keep it very strict when it comes to consequences, so no second chance if you did a mistake at one point. Maybe it's the different outcomes that could do a good mix here.

To do a example: you make a mistake at one point with negative consequences at one point. But later at a different point it could turn out to be a good decision again making you smile in the end. That would leave some sort of chance at any point.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:59 am

What was the best consequence you've ever encountered?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Mostly those in which it turned that it was a good idea to help someone out of a bad situation.

For example there are two women in Newcomer on C64 that are forced to work in a brothel. If you fight down the men guarding them they will join your party. Both are a very big help when it comes to fights - they can use automatic weapons very properly. They are a massive help when it comes to fights with other people with much HP.

I like it so much when people join you that crossed your way when in bitter need and the reward is even much more help for yourselves. You helped them, they joined you and you can continue your way together. A great thing! :)

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to General Roleplaying Discussion