Most motivating things...

Anything about RPGs could be discussed here.

Re: Most motivating things...

Postby subbassman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:39 am

So if you are sure the end is near but there are still unfinished quests, you start getting them done?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 am

Depends upon if the NPC's that give them are nearby. In case I need to take a longer walk or something like that (takes too much time or is boring) I mostly don't do it , except if the first hints I got made me that curious that I can't stand the temptation to take a closer look upon the quest.

Most of all I do such quests on a second attempt - when returning for replaying a game.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 pm

But sometimes you are "forced" to do it because you turn out to be weak against the Boss, so you need to gain a little more XP, right?
Did it happen before?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes, it did happen several times. And in fact I often wondered what I may have missed in case I wouldn't have played the side quests.

Sometimes I even do extra quests because I just like to run around more and see something of the rest of the game world and the quests are a nice
extra reason to go there. Other times when you're not in the mood for a boss fight it's a welcome thing to have the possibilty to play on a bit.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 am

fallen_hero wrote:Yes, it did happen several times. And in fact I often wondered what I may have missed in case I wouldn't have played the side quests.

Sometimes I even do extra quests because I just like to run around more and see something of the rest of the game world and the quests are a nice
extra reason to go there. Other times when you're not in the mood for a boss fight it's a welcome thing to have the possibilty to play on a bit.

And what about the games that have NO end boss? ;)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

subbassman wrote:

And what about the games that have NO end boss? ;)

That's a good question. :D The quests then need to make me remind me them. For example there is one game out there that let's you choose a side quest. You talk to the NPC and aks for a job. He/she offers you a list of possibilities - it's not more than a headline in a newspaper. But those headlines often can be a eye-catcher. Clicking on them a detailed quest describtion is given and you can still say if you're ready to do it or not. The reward you get is also displayed. Sometimes nice extra-gimmicks are given as a surprise when you return.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Which is more motivating, gold or XP?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Had to think a bit about this. But I'd say it's mostly the XP that let's me push forward. Having more power in battles or the possibility to invest XP into skills and to see what that does/helps in several situations is a kick for me.

For example when you see how powerfull a extended spell or the better the attack with a weapon now works is really nice. Or even better, the chance of using stuff that couldn't be used so far because you had not the proper skills for it is motivating. There are often items that I always wanted to try but never had the skill for it, so I needed to get more XP to be able to use them.

Gold is good for buying new items, but the motivations depends upon how cool that stuff turns out. If it is more or less a standard it is low. But sometimes neat surprises can await those who try out strange stuff... 8-)

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

But if you don't have gold, you can't buy equipment and whatnot...

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 am

That's right, but there might be other ways how you can get the stuff you need.

For example for solving a quest sometimes the reward can be very powerfull weapons or armour. Or you may find a hidden chest in a secret area that is often overlooked by others.

Another way would be selling the loot you don't need anymore to be able to buy the things you want. All these ways require a long run but they can be a solution, too.

Just a thought: is there a game out there that let's you lend a needed item for a quest?

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to General Roleplaying Discussion