Most motivating things...

Anything about RPGs could be discussed here.

Most motivating things...

Postby subbassman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 pm

What motivates you most when you play single player computer RPGs?

subbassman
Site Admin

Re: Most motivating things...

Postby fallen_hero » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Rewards and cut-scenes. And often the reactions of the person who gives me the quest. It's cool if the NPC reacts to the way I've solved the quest differently.
As for the rewards I love to unlock new possibilities, clothes, items, new team members, special weapons and the like. It should feel good to complete a quest and given a proper reward for the time and energy invested to do it. Cut-scenes that let one relax and push the story forward are also warmly welcomed by me. ;)

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Is there anything like "disappointing reward"? :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Good question. :?: It's good if there are rewards as a first thing. Even better if they are properly choosen to the difficulty of the quest. A hard quest should give a big reward IMHO. It's also nice if a solved quest leads to the choice of doing another quest that is related to the previous one. This obviously is only possible if that's a side quest.

I would like to know which exspectation otheres here have when it comes to rewards. Have you ever been disappointed by reward in a RPG? And why?

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm

And there's the matter of getting a ridiculously uber item.

In a non-linear game (like Tortured Hearts) it is even harder to balance because it's possible to get a low level reward later in the game when you don't need it.

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Balancing a game surely is one of the heaviest tasks to do. I think it's impossible always to let players receive/find only items that fit their level. That always happens in any RPG, you sometimes receive what you don't need. That's why shops are there. ;) And it's close to real life - you don't always get what you want.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm

fallen_hero wrote:Balancing a game surely is one of the heaviest tasks to do. I think it's impossible always to let players receive/find only items that fit their level. That always happens in any RPG, you sometimes receive what you don't need. That's why shops are there. ;) And it's close to real life - you don't always get what you want.

What was the best reward you ever received?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:02 pm

subbassman wrote:
What was the best reward you ever received?

Very goood question. I had long to think about this. But two things came to my mind. Be warned before reading on - my text comes with spoilers. If you still play these games I suggest you avoid reading it - it takes some of the fun you might have away!

First of is from Vampire - the masquerade bloodlines. There was a quest where you could help out a woman being the owner of a club. She's regulary been visited by brutal slayers asking for money in return for "protection". If you kill these rats you receive half of the income she makes with the club as reward. This solves your constant money problem in the game very well. Was very happy and surprised about this one I remember.

Second one is from The Ormus Saga 1 on C64. Towards the end of the game you receive a death hammer, which is necessary to fight the big boss at his home castle. Interesting at this is - if you use the item after or before the big fight it will easily break and you won't have anything of it. A killer-weapon at the proper location but a poor weapon when tried on random fights. Great idea to solve this problem in my eyes.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 am

Is the promise of new story possibilities motivating enough while playing a CRPG?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Since I'm a story-oriented player I would say yes. New sidelines or even brandnew chapters are always chilling me. You can never know, if a different story(side)line leads to new possibilities or even a new look upon a situation or character. It would motivate me to play longer and more intensively.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Next

Return to General Roleplaying Discussion