Inspiration for the Winbloods?

If you have questions about TH 1 and TH 2, or you want to discuss these games, feel free to share your thoughts. Anything that relates to the standalone game should be discussed in the main forum.

Inspiration for the Winbloods?

Postby Trimatirate » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 am

I just wondered where the idea of the idea of the red-robed magical mafia came from. They're quite interesting antagonists, and the only characters in the modules anyone takes seriously. Would they turn up in the stand alone game?

Trimatirate
Distinguished Tomb Raider

Re: Inspiration for the Winbloods?

Postby DrHoo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Not in the same way. After all Yrun got killed in THII, he was the ringleader.

DrHoo
Site Admin

Postby subbassman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 pm

You will stumble upon them in a way or another. :)
What makes them special?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Trimatirate » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:01 pm

To be honest, I just thought the way they operated was inspired, and the back story you gave them was quite interesting. I played through the game relishing the chance to battle the scum. The idea of these powerful, red-robed, arrogant, slave-trading mages that already control large portions of the political world is just something I find quite appealing - particularly because, as I mentioned, sorcerers and wizards in general tend to be 'typecast' as villains, considering what they do is a little bit sinister. The fact that they possess humanist and sexist tendencies makes them perfect villans - ones you feel have no justification to deny you the pleasure of killing them. Their establishment was just something I felt was very real and very topical and, in a different setting, could have the potential to be quite iconic.

Trimatirate

Postby subbassman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Hmm... who was nastiest, Donan or Toman Winblood? Or maybe Yrun?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Trimatirate » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 am

In terms of power? Yrun was by far the most difficult, Toman was surprisingly easy (without summoning the demon), Donan was fairly effortless.

In terms of personality, Toman was a nice mix of boredom and malice - 'retired' evil, but was perfectly happy to help the PC screw his former employer if you gave him a baby to butcher. That was a surprise. Using babies as food is probably what pushes the lot past any sort of redemption - a perfect kind of supporting villain.

Yrun was plain ol' sinister, and being disguised as a child and having an affair with an older woman was fantastically sick.

Donan is sort of hard to place, since he seems delighted to accept you as an apprentice off the cuff, but will attack on a vague 'suspicion', and doesn't really seem like a bad guy. :? I dunno... the dialogue in the first TH1 really made characterization difficult.

Or maybe I need to get out more :ugeek:

Trimatirate

Postby subbassman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:51 pm

The smart bad guys all look like good guys at first sight. :)

The cabal is still here in Eupherea, but they slightly changed their name.

Did you consider joining Donan?
Managed to persuade the High Priest to stand down?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Trimatirate » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 am

I did consider it, because I like that sort of thing, but it just didn't seem like something my character (a level-headed female mage) would do. I'd played TH2 a few times first, and once did Toman's quest, so I like it that they keep their promises.

I didn't get Thanyr to stand down, partly because it was my first time and I had missed half the plot items and didn't really understand what he'd done. So I killed him just to be safe. ;)

Trimatirate

Postby subbassman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

What do you expect from the Clan in the standalone game?

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby Trimatirate » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I dunno, a cameo, maybe a nice creepy subquest where you can free slaves, infiltrate their ships or kill their evil clones of Carrot Top - just something that reminds people how low and evil human beings (since they are humo-centric) can go, and give the NWN module players a little shiver down their spine when they see them exactly as you want them to be - before they go Die Hard on their asses.

Trimatirate

Next

Return to Tortured Hearts NWN Mods